Thursday, August 17, 2006

Weather schizophrenia

Maybe schizophrenia is not the word. I'm talking about the strange turns of weather that causes people to under- or overdress. Today, I saw one woman dressed in a tank top and shorts while her friend wore a thick cotton sweater and jeans.

How do you dress for weather that starts out at 68 degrees and ends at a sunny 78?

My solution: change outfits two or three times a day. Which works fine since I'm always returning home between outings.

I suppose I could just carry a sweater, but summer is so short and so glorious here, I like to revel in it when I can in my skimpy summer duds.

I was just thinking this morning about how Texas had shaped my ideas about summer clothing. Usually I'm pretty modest, but in Texas, modesty falls to the wayside when the temperature rises. It's nothing at all to wear strappy tanks and shorty shorts--everyone else does too (especially on college campuses). But here, I sometimes feel like a floozy.

Although, the boy and others noted how scandalously the girls dressed when the dial rose to a record-breaking 100 degrees a few weeks back. Then girls wore bikini tops, see-through white dresses, and dip-dip-dipping necklines while walking around the main commercial district in my neighborhood. I didn't notice that myself, but then again, I am not male. Personally, I don't go to those extremes.

No comments: