Sunday, July 02, 2006

Motherlode

I have found the motherlode of used books! Ha ha ha ha ha! *insert maniacal laughter*

Yesterday the boy and I went to investigate a row of thrift stores he located near his new work. At first he told me there were something like 6 of them, which really perked me up. Turned out to be just two, but one was a St Vincent de Paul. SVdP are usually really good thrift stores, charity shops in the traditional sense. Really cheap donations. Instead of having former alcoholics and drug addicts manning the store, you have Christian ladies, who, despite 90 degree weather and no A/C, will still give you a smile and a big discount.

So it turns out that they were having a paperback book sale (all PBs 50% off). The books were located in a back room, directly opposite of the sole ventilation in the place--the front door, propped open. Needless to say, it was stifling back there. But the book section was the size of a small bookstore and was organized like a real bookstore. Sections like "Women's Studies," "Occult," and "Literary Critizicism [sic]."

I had a stack of books curled down the length of my arm until someone kindly got me a box. An entire box of good books for only $5! I went to meet the boy--who was sitting outside in the car under a shady tree, programming--exultant with my spoils.

No comments: