Thursday, July 27, 2006

Accessories

I think that I have developed a taste for quirky shoes. I recently bought three shoes, all of them colorful and distinct. One is a wedge with rainbow-colored straps. Another are the glitter sandals. The last one is a teal flat with fish scales on it.

I suppose that works, since I've started moving towards more basic and neutral clothes. I've decided not to get any more patterned tops or skirts, and to forgo dresses in favor of separates. I end up rarely wearing any of my dresses, except the comfortable ones in solid colors.

The style tips I read in books and magazines usually suggest getting basic clothes and individualizing through accessories, anyway. I didn't use to understand that concept. But now I do, since I've started accumulating hats, scarves, shoes, and jewelry. Signature items. I wear the same ones all the time.

2 comments:

Andi, Amand, Renee' said...

We've decided to wear Converse with hearts on them under our wedding dresses. Mine will be high-top.

Nhu said...

That's great! I've always loved the idea of combat boots )or likewise idiosyncratic shoes) underneath prim, proper, girly outfits.

Women's feet, like all other body parts, lay at the intersection of sex, politics, and gender. I've been struck by this idea of feet and shoes since reading Madame Bovary, and the critical scene where you knew she had trangressed beyond the boundaries set for women when she dangled her slipper off her feet. (the foot being a symbol of female pudenda, as I read somewhere.... English majors are such perverts.)