Saturday, January 27, 2007

Camo

So of the latest wave of online purchases, I'm only keeping a few things:
. Mulberry Bayswater handbag in chocolate. It's a classic bag that I can use for work.
. A.P.C. inverted pleat chino miniskirt
. A.P.C. sheer merino wool sweater

I've really fallen in love with A.P.C. stuff. It's a cultish French label that's known for its under the radar logo, high quality materials, and cool simple designs. It was the pleated top that I got last year that started me in my "investigation" into better quality clothes.

I like to think of it as an investigation, or research, because this past year wasn't just about getting cute things. I think I was also looking into the accoutrements of adulthood, these indicators of your status, experience, and place. Along the way, I made some mistakes in the things I've acquired, but as a whole, I'm satisfied that I've learned a little bit more about how one assembles a visual self to present to the world.

I've long thought of clothing as camouflage. And before I could figure out what to put on, I had to discover the place I was a part of.

No comments: