Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Designer brand review

Marc by Marc Jacobs...Super cute stuff. The brand I knew before I really knew designer brands. While I still enjoy his runway shows (the styling, the grunge influence), now that I've had a chance to see some of his work up close, it's not quite the same love affair. His stuff tends to be a little overly cute. Cutesy rather than whimsical. Worse, the cut and the material is sub par. I've tried on a bunch of different things--a cami top, boucle skirt, the jacket, cord skirt--but nothing felt special. They all seemed like things I could get for a lot cheaper elsewhere.

Isabel Marant...A name I heard of through TFS. I acquired a pair of pants a few weeks ago. Love! The material is soft and cool to the touch. It's lightweight but still feels substantial. I noticed that the outside seam of the pants curves around the leg, which I think makes it lay closer to the body. So even though the overall cut of the pants is loose and slouchy, it's still body-conscious.

Ann Demeulemeester...A Belgian designer, part of the Antwerp Six of the 1980s. Another TFS favorite. I got a sheer cotton & cashmere sweater a few weeks ago at the same time that I got the IM pants. Very nice. The material just feels better. This sweater, like the pants, is also cut along the bias. The seams curl around the entire length of the arm and around the middle. To the same effect: it lay against the body even though the overall cut is loose. Interesting.

Birkenstocks...I don't know if this counts as fashion designer. Probably anti-fashion, especially if you ask a German, I think. But they sure are comfortable shoes.

Which reminds me...Repetto...A resuscitated brand of ballet shoes based in France. They've come out with exquisite new lines of modern ballet shoes meant for wearing on the street. At first, I was not altogether happy with the soles on the shoes. I could feel every pebble, like the Princess and her peas. But now I'm back in love. The suede has molded to my feet and feels so nice on. The style itself is simple but well-made, and so should last for years. Which makes the price okay. I also like the fact that the left and right shoe are identical and made on a last. You have to break them in to your own foot.

No comments: