Saturday, May 26, 2007

Silver cart

When I first came to Seattle, I worked at a pushcart in a downtownish market, selling silver jewelry. There were three main girls who rotated shifts at the cart: me, a punkish blonde, and a ditzy brunette. The other two girls were about 19, and I was many years removed from 19. Still, they were nice enough colleagues to pass the time with--gossipy and vaguely sweet in that 19-year old way.

I saw the formerly punkish blonde last night at the mall. She works for the same people, but now she's stationed at a cart located in a suburban mall, the market having been remodelled into a grocery store. Last I heard, the owners had made her an assistant manager. I doubt she finished the pastry cooking school (pastry, because she was vegetarian) she had enrolled in just before I quit. These days, instead of wearing all black clothing and heavy eyeliner, she sports a poodle perm and cotton dresses from Macy's.

No comments: