Friday, March 24, 2006

What about designer

So I made it back to Nordstrom Rack yesterday and pawed through all the designer clothes. Found a few to try on.

* Stella McCartney strapless black cocktail dress...interesting undergearing on the dress. There was a built-in padded bustier bra. Nice shiny satin black flowers on a black background. A kind of overgrown bow material at the bustline.
* See by Chloe pants...Heavy material. Notch at the back. Very long legs.
* Sara Berman cardigan...way too big.

One thing I've noticed about designer clothes is that they tend to be heavier weight fabrics. Also, they are "engineered" in the sense of darting, undergarments, details. Lots of attention paid to how it will flatter and hang on the body. It's like the apartment I live in now. Small details, the thoughtfulness in layout, the soundproofing, etc., remind me that an architect built it. In the same way, the engineering of the garment lets me know that a designer made that piece, I think.

1 comment:

Andi, Amand, Renee' said...

That's an interesting point about the cut that flatters, ways to bolster seams, things that can make a difference in how something is made.