Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Good things come to those that wait


What is it about fashion that encourages obsession? A few months ago, perhaps back in early fall, I fell in love with a handbag. I've fallen in love with handbags before, but not to this degree. I saw the bag, I loved it from afar, I collected images off of purse forums, and I waited. During a first markdown online, someone had beat me to it and I lost my chance on getting this handbag on a deal.

Through some fortuitous Internet sleuthing, I found out who had bought the handbag. She was a member of an Internet forum I visit sometimes. She planned to return the handbag. From the online reps, I found out how long it took for a returned item to be reposted. I bookmarked the product page and waited. I checked daily for months. But alas, the bag never reappeared.

Many months later, the only change I ever saw on the product page was a second markdown. It was moot, though, since there was no item to buy. I came close to deleting that bookmark, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I had grown to enjoy checking up on my bag, like a little Internet pet. I suppose it's just one of the strange attachments that the Internet breeds.

So anyway. I idly opened all my bookmarks a few days ago, and lo and behold, the item had reappeared under the summer clearance! I hopped on that junebug!

So it's on its way to me now, at last.

Actually, I fully expect NOT to love the bag once it arrives, but what is it that they say? It's the journey, not the thing in itself. In this case, it was the waiting and the pining that was the most excruciatingly, exquisitely enjoyable.

1 comment:

the Boy said...

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Glad to hear you are getting your bag. Even if you think you won't like it, I hope you do.