Sunday, October 22, 2006

Shopping alone

I went shopping by myself on Friday. It's been maybe more than a year since I've been shopping by myself. Oh, I might make it out alone to the Best Rabbit and Rodent House once in awhile to get hay for the pigs, or perhaps stop by TJ Maxx on the way back, but whenever I have gone on a shopping expedition, the boy has gone with me.

I would thread my way through the racks, he trailing after, to offer opinions and to hold the things I wanted to try on.

The boy, although he favors nerdly clothes for himself, had become quite a fashion consultant. He offered good opinions. Advice like "the proportion seems off," and "it's nice, but not special" would spring from his mouth. He was horrified that he had learned how to appraise clothing.

But on Friday, I went by myself. It felt strange. It was quiet, not having anyone to talk to, and I could hear the conversations going on around me. There was a gaggle of excited girls in Sephora, and a similar group, about 15 years older, in Anthropologie--both cliques were discussing what they were going to do that Friday night. I think the girls had a club to go to, and the women had a dinner party.

In the open shopping mall, I crossed under the awning to get to the Victoria Secret (another free panty coupon). Night time was coming on. The lights were twinkling, and the shop windows glowed.

It felt strange, like being single, alone, again. Like slipping on an old pair of shoes you haven't worn in awhile. Familiar, and almost comfortable. But not quite.

[photo: anthropologie website]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fashion consultant? no way. clearly libel. there is no way i could have learned to appraise clothing. it is true that i have come to appreciate a very speific and unique set of curves, but i'm no fashion consultant.

by the way, the dress you got is both elegant and beautiful. it will serve you well when the weather warms.