Saturday, November 25, 2006

The good and bad

So I think the main difference in how I approach fashion now as opposed to a few years ago would be that I put more thought and analysis behind what I wear and like. I save pictures that I come across and like on my computer, and I clip editorials from magazines that catch my eye. Then every few months or so, I'll open up that file and review some of those images. From that, I've come to figure out my style. To where, when I see cute things on the rack, I can now say to myself, "that's pretty, but not my style." Before, anything that I thought was cute was sufficient criteria to try on and buy, but not necessarily to wear.

In addition, I think I've become a smarter shopper. I analyze potential purchases for how they'll fit into my wardrobe. I imagine occassions and outfits that would justify the purchase. I also try to imagine how that style or material will hold up after repeated wears. And if I find myself imagining myself in that outfit...suprisingly, that means it's a no. If I have to persuade myself into it, it almost invariably doesn't work for me.

So a few random things I've learned:
* J.Crew is not good for accessories like scarves and slippers. These get nappy and piley after just a little bit of wear.
* Splendid, Ella Moss, Velvet and C&C--all those luxury tee companies--are actually worth the money. Kinda. If those things are on sale. The modal, lyocell, and other fabric blends actually make their basics drape well and hold up nicely.
* Buy in a color palette. Save prints for special items, like a pretty vintage blouse or a party frock.

No comments: