Monday, October 17, 2005

The Fashion Spot Evolution

I discovered thefashionspot forums a few months ago, via mightybigtv.com, when I was a big America's Next Top Model fan. It took a few visits, but I got sucked into that weird, woolly place populated by affluent consumers, teenyboppers, and fashion obsessives.

It's changed my thinking about clothes.
* more conscious of trends...I can name them now and spot them on people
* expanded notion of what's reasonable to spend
* more discerning eye toward what I will get tired of, like, immediately

I'm not altogether sure that these are good changes. But my hobby for now is clothes. Collecting them, seeing what's out there, coveting...just like one used to do for stickers, or sugar packets, or stamps.

I haven't given up shopping at mass market outlets like Old Navy or Forever 21. But when I go there now, I don't shop purely on impulse. Unless it's like this weekend, when I looked for eye-catching baubles just to cheer me through the next few hard weeks.

No comments: